Failed Aquaponics Trial

Before winter break we realized that we needed to construct a more portable aquaponics system. You can read more about that here. I took the system home, and it was working pretty well for the first week or so, but after that all the plants died. We think that this is because A) we only have 5 fish (the others have all died–we need to get more) and B) we cut too many holes in the second tray, so water was dripping out of the trays holding the lettuce faster than it was being brought up, which meant that the plants weren’t getting enough water or nutrients. We are going to buy some more fish, and also remake the system so that it works better.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *